August 19, 2010 / Bizarre and odd / 1 comment
Here are some of the strangest laws ever written, and some of them date back very far. Why there was a need for a law like this to be written I am not sure. You will be surprised to learn that some are still actual.
* In Texas, it’s against the law for anyone to have a pair of pliers in his or her possession.
* In Philadelphia, you can’t put pretzels in bags based on an Act of 1760.
* Alaska law says that you can’t look at a moose from an airplane.
* In Corpus Christie, Texas, it is illegal to raise alligators in your home.
* In Miami, it is forbidden to imitate an animal.
* It is against the law to mispronounce the name of the State of Arkansas in that State.
* In Illinois, the law is that a car must be driven with the steering wheel.
* California law prohibits a woman from driving a car while dressed in a housecoat.
* In Memphis, Tennessee, a woman is not to drive a car unless a man warns approaching motorists or pedestrians by walking in front of the car that is being driven.
* In Tennessee, it is against the law to drive a car while sleeping.
* In New York, it is against the law for a blind person to drive an automobile.
* In West Virginia, only babies can ride in a baby carriage.
* In Georgia, it is against the law to slap a man on the back or front.
* A barber is not to advertise prices in the State of Georgia.
* In Louisiana, a bill was introduced years ago in the State House of Representatives that fixed a ceiling on haircuts for bald men of 25 cents.
* In Oklahoma, no baseball team can hit the ball over the fence or out of a ballpark.
* In Tennessee, a law exists which prohibits the sale of bologna (sandwich meat) on Sunday.
* In Virginia, the Code of 1930 has a statute which prohibits corrupt practices or bribery by any person other than political candidates.
* In Providence, Rhode Island, it is against the law to jump off a bridge.
* In the State of Kansas, you’re not allowed to drive a buffalo through a street.
* In Florida, it is against the law to put livestock on a school bus.
* In New Jersey, cabbage can’t be sold on Sunday.
* In North Carolina, it is against the law for dogs and cats to fight.
* In Singapore, it is illegal to chew gum.
* In Cleveland, Ohio, it is unlawful to leave chewing gum in public places.
* In Virginia, chickens cannot lay eggs before 8:00 a.m., and must be done before 4:00 p.m.
* In New York, it is against the law for children to pick up or collect cigarette and cigar butts.
* In Massachusetts, it is against the law to put tomatos in clam chowder.
* In Phoenix, Arizona, you can’t walk through a hotel lobby with spurs on.
* In California, a law created in 1925 makes it illegal to wiggle while dancing.
* In Utah, daylight must be visible between dancing couples.
* In Michigan, it is against the law for a lady to lift her skirt more than 6 inches while walking through a mud puddle.
* In North Carolina, it is against the law for a rabbit to race down the street.
* In Georgia, it’s against the law to spread a false rumor.
* In West Virginia, one can’t cook sauerkraut or cabbage due to the odors and the offence is subject to imprisonment.
* In Missouri, a man must have a permit to shave.
* The law states that more than 3000 sheep cannot be herded down Hollywood Blvd. at any one time.
* In Texas, it is still a “hanging offense” to steal cattle.