March 20 – March 31 | Footprints of Memory: In the Search for Mexico’s Disappeared | Exhibition and parallel activities
These are the shoes of relatives searching for their missing loved ones in Mexico, engraved with words about their search. In the opening we will have the participation of artist Alfredo González Casanova and María de Jesús Tlatempa Bello, mother of José Eduardo Bartolo Tlatempa, one of the 43 students disappeared in Ayotzinapa since September 2014. Event organised by Huellas de la Memoria, with the collaboration of Amnesty International and the support of LMS
– 20th March – Exhibition Opening | 19:00 – 21:00 | Amnesty International, 17-25 New Inn Yard EC2A 3EA, London.
– 21st March: Film screening of ‘Absences’ and discussion at SOAS, B102 Brunei Gallery | 19:00-21:00
– Special Event at Essex University: 22nd March: Conversation at ESCALA, Essex University 16:00 – 18:00
March 25 – May 13 | Stitched Voices – Aberystwyth | Exhibition
London Mexico Solidarity’s arpillera We Are Seeds will be displayed in the exhibition ‘Stitched Voices’. The exhibition and associated programme is organised by Dr Berit Bliesemann de Guevara, Christine Andrä, Lydia Cole, and Danielle House, Department of International politics, Aberystwyth University in cooperation with Aberystwyth Art Centre. Further Info: Stitched Voices Website Aberystwyth Art Centre | Ceredigion SY23 3DE, Wales.
April 3 – April 8 | Footprints of Memory. In the Search for Mexico’s Disappeared | Exhibition in Aberystwyth
These are the shoes of relatives searching for their missing loved ones in Mexico, engraved with words about their search. In the opening we will have the participation of artist Alfredo González Casanova and María de Jesús Tlatempa Bello, mother of José Eduardo Bartolo Tlatempa, one of the 43 students disappeared in Ayotzinapa since September 2014. Event organised by Huellas de la Memoria and Aberystwyth University. Programme:
– 3rd April: Exhibition Opening | Time to be confirmed | Arthouse – Ty Celf, 1 Laura Place, Aberystwyth.
– 5th April: Film screening ‘Absences’ | TBC
– 6th -8th April: Symposium ‘Absence, Presence, and Embodiment’ | Old College, Aberystwyth University, King Street, Aberystwyth, SY23 2Ay
Further info: fb event
April 3 | War and Journalism in Mexico | 18:00 – 20:30
Join London Mexico Solidarity for a conversation with Paula Mónaco and Miguel Tovar on the brave work that journalists are doing in the context of the so called “War on Drugs” in Mexico. Chaired by Amanda Hopkins and organised with English Pen and Alborada London. Event Organised by LMS in collaboration with Alborada and English PEN.
Further Info: War and Journalism in Mexico | SOAS Room tbc |
* * *
Follow this website for updates, or follow our fb page
Media contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Events & Reports
March 8, 13, 14 & 24 | Women Generating Change: A Month of Activities.
A month of activities to feel, explore and express being a powerful, anti-patriarchal, migrant woman.
– March 8th | Women, Creativity and Struggle | 18:00 – 20:30 – A conversation with Wretched of the Earth, LAWRS London Mexico Solidarity and Movimiento Jaguar Despierto
– March 13th & 14th | Tell me your struggle | 18:00 – 20:30 – Art therapy with Wings and Dreams and Consciousness and Movement
– March 24th | Bordered and Resistance | 18:00 – 20:30 – Textiles and Politics Collective and London Mexico Solidarity: allowing the needle and thread to become a political weapon.
– March 24th | Minga for the migrant woman: The Daughter of the Lagoon | 18:00
All workshops have limited seats. Please RSVP at email@example.com indicating the name of the workshop you wish to participate in. Free entrance (Donations are welcome). This event will be held in Spanish but please let us know if you need any translation for any talk or workshop. Collaborating Organisations: War on Want and Unite. Further Info: Mujeres Generando Cambio Unite Union | 128 Theobalds Rd, Holborn WC 1X 8TN
February 24 | Viva México! – Film Screening | 18:30 – 21:30
Viva México! Stories of Struggle and Resistance. Dir. Nicolás Défossé, 120. min (2010) Viva México! brings together the stories of different communities resisting state violence across Mexico, which finally gathered around the Other Campaign (organised by the EZLN and the Zapatista Communities in 2005) to grow autonomy and resistance. Headway East London | Timber Wharf, 238-240 Kingsland Road, London, E2 8AX
January 19th Amnesty International and London Mexico Solidarity: Mexico’s Human Rights Crisis and the Zapatista Struggle. Organised by the Kingston – AI group. 8:00PM, New Malden Methodist Church, 49 High Street, New Malden KT3 4BY
November 2nd Gatecrishing the Mexican Embassy’s Day of the Dead. Remembering those who the Mexican Government wants to forget
October 8th 14:00 Solidarity with Atenco from London – LMS at GrowHeathrow with Reclaim the Power! Groups fighting against airport expansion in London come together to show their solidarity with movements across Europe and Atenco, in Mexico. This will be part of #StayGrounded!
SEPTEMBER 2016 Ayotzinapa 2 Years On: Stop Disappearances in México Now:
* Ayot2inapa 26th September / 17:30 -19:00. Demonstration: Ayotzinapa Two Years On: Stop Disappearances in Mexico Now! Mexican Embassy in London, 16 St George St, W1S 1FD. Report and photos
* Ayot2inapa 24th September / Time to be confirmed ‘Mexico’s Human Rights Crisis: Enforced Disppearances’, a brief talk by FUNDENL, at the British Museum’s Great Court, Great Russell St. London, WC1B 3DG
* Ayot2inapa 23rd September / 18:00 Watching them Die: The Mexican Army and the 43 Disappeared. Documentary Screening and Discussion by War Resisters International and London Mexico Solidarity. Friends Meeting House, Suite B, 173-177 Euston Rd. £3 suggested donation.
* Ayot2inapa 21st September / 18:00 Panel Discussion. Disappearances in Mexico: 2 Years After Ayotzinapa. UCL Institute of the Americas. Room 103. Further Info and Registration
June 8 2016 Solidarity with Oaxaca and the teacher’s movement in Mexico: Stop Repression
April 2016 Call for Action and Solidarity with Mexico and Frontline Communities, by LMS
April 4 2016 A History of BP in Ten Objects. An Alternative Exhibition at the British Museum. Version en español: La historia de BP en diez objetos: una exposición alternativa en el Museo Británico
March 2016 #TheyDon’tMakeUsSafer Campaign
March 8 Protest for Berta Cáceres in London
February 2016 “LMS-Plane Stupid Solidarity: building solidarity against ariport expansion”: Stop Aviation, Stop Col2nialism, by Plane Stupid in Solidarity with Atenco and Frontline communities fighting airport expansion & Solidarity with Heathrow13, by LMS.
January 20 2016 “Solidarity Meeting with Omar García, from Ayotzinapa – What comes next?” UCL Report and Media Coverage
November 29 2015 Join us in The Wretched of the Earth Bloc at the demonstration for Climate Justice. Colonialism stills, your climate profits kill!!
November 28 2015 LMS at the Latin America Conference Adelante 2015. Presenting Ayotzinapa: A Chronicle of a State Crime. 10:30
November 7 2015 Movimientos 10th anniversary: Roudtable on Latin America with LMS & different grassroots movements Richmix, 12:00-13:00. Check the complete programme, including music, talks, and films.
November 9 2015 LMS’s talk “Mexico and Students Rights”, Berric Saul Building, York University. 18:30. Organised by English PEN and York PEN
October 30 2015 Join us to Crash BP and Mexican Government party of Day of the Dead, British Museum, 18:30. Press Release / Comunicado de prensa / Media Coverage / Video /
October 26 Discussion “Enforced disappearances in Mexico”, by LMS and Amanda Hopkins at the University of East Anglia. See LMS’ Photos
October 24 Workshop “Zapatistas, The Struggle Against Dispossession”, London Anarchist Bookfair 2015.
September 26 Demonstration: One Year On We Are Still Fighting! 14:00 – 18:00 Mexican Embassy in London Further Information
September 22 Panel Discussion: Ayotzinapa One Year After 17:30 – 19:30 University College London, Institute of the Americas, WC1H 0PN Further information
September 19 Housing Rights and Human Rights: an Evening of Short Films by London Mexico Solidarity, Southwark Defend Council Housing and the South London People’s Assembly. Tiendas del Sur, London SE1 6SF. Further Information
September 18 Workshop “Ayotzinapa, Your Struggle is Our Struggle, with EnglishPEN and StudentsPEN.
September 17 Ayotzinapa: Chronicle of a State Crime: Documentary Screening and Discussion by Alborada London and London Mexico Solidarity Director: Xavier Robles , Mexico, 2015. 18:00 – 21:00 SOAS, University of London Penton Rise. Further Information
September 12 “Stop the Arms” Demonstration. See London Mexico Solidarity’s photos.
September 12 “Refugges Welcome” Rally. See London Mexico Solidarity’s photos.